How to choose the Right Fabric for your Curtains
Curtains hold an inevitable position in project decor and it will certainly uphold the interior looks, any decorator will accept it but it is to be chosen correctly. When it comes to selecting the proper curtain, it can also get someone overwhelmed as there are a number of features to consider such as colour, fabric, length, lining as well as custom-made or out-of- shelf. As there are numerous options available in the market the most of us will spend much time in selecting the suitable colour and proper material for the curtains.
How to choose the Right Curtain Material
Choosing the right curtain material is certainly the most important decision when it comes to your curtains. This is because, curtains function and time it will last is decided by the material. It can be understood that if the curtains are too heavy, the folds may not crispy when they are drawn on the other hand, if the curtain material is too light it may not fall properly. Most of the designers accepts these facts.
The second consideration is that curtain fabrics may fade over time due to sunlight. It is advisable to avoid bright colours if the rooms get lots of sun light. You can choose otherwise if you like to change the curtains of the room’s often then you won't be required to think about the fading problem. Designers usually suggest choosing neutral colours, which are less expected to fade under sunlight and can blend perfectly to a room’s decor.
The curtain materials are available in linen, silk, faux silk, and velvet. As per designer’s opinion, in a principally sunny room, faux silk is the most durable, because it will not deteriorate as fast as real silk.
Some fabrics can even help to keep out the cold. Curtain fabrics such as suede, tapestry, velvet and tweed are used in many hotels because of their weight helps blocking sunlight light and also keeps the heat in. Nearly any curtain material can be neatly lined with an insulating felt material and an interlining. This also helps the long life of the curtain fabrics. The body and fullness of the curtain can improve with a lining and interlining.
Other Considerations in Selecting Curtain Material
Length and Lining- It is important to decide the hanging panels first before taking tape measurements. Designer’s opinion is that it gives a sense of height to rooms when hanging panels are located higher than windows. A usual measure of six inches is kept by designers to provide hanging panels above window frame. Four to eight inches on both sides of windows are usually provided and the double the total number is required to ensure the curtain fullness.
Custom-made or out-of- shelf treatments- if you are concerned more about the room décor than the money then custom-made are the best option suites you. The custom made offers the freedom to choose the dimensions of your window or door curtains which give a perfectly fitted suit and give a tailored look. The design options provided by custom-made are almost endless, this includes from curtain fabric to header style and linings. However, anyone can enjoy the advantages if they are ready to pay the proper price for that.
Top 10 Tips for Choosing Curtain Material
Choosing the right and the appropriate curtain material can take some good toll out of your body and mind. It can be a time consuming process too, as people with varied opinions and numerous options face a lot of difficulties in choosing the right material. Curtains usually call for some really heavy investments and the people are advised to reserve an ample amount of time to consider different factors that can help them to choose the right material. The material shouldn’t only look dashing and dapper but it should also be long lasting.
There are always some techniques, tips and tricks which can help you to be decisive in most of the situations where you are required to choose between a range of different options. Same is the case with the curtain material stuff as well as the choice range is enormous with a lot of variety in quality too.
- Curtains for sunny rooms are different. They are thick for preventing strong sun rays. The shady rooms have a light curtain fabric which is just there to ensure privacy and help keeping the room dark at the time of need.
- The bedrooms don’t follow the curtain rules as that of the shady and the sunny rooms. Privacy is of the essence in the bedrooms more than the light. The fabric should be good that can ensure privacy other than preventing the external sunlight as well.
- The curtains for bathroom obviously are special. They are not the see through type and also water resistant.
- If you are using the silk curtain fabric, then make sure not to expose them to strong sunlight as the material will torn out easily and would last for too long.
- You must be sure about the material and its suitability with a particular type of cleaning procedure.
- Thick lined curtains can be a great idea to be used in the houses which have large bay windows along with a lot of drafts.
- Try not to experiment too much with the colours. Maintaining colours can be very difficult, especially when you are considering a wash. The different range of colours may bleed during a wash and can also raise the fading colour issues. The colours may show some inconsistency in their patterns after washing.
- If you are choosing curtains for your child's room, then make sure that you consider the cleaning and the maintenance factors with the topmost preference. You can go with different children's themes and cartoon characters curtains, but make sure that they are dark in colour as stains and spots are always the case in the children's bedrooms.
- If you are choosing the curtains for your kitchen, then make sure that they are flame proof for the obvious reasons.
- Think about your budget too, and choose something of appropriate quality well within your budget.